Consumer issues

Refunds for purchases or buying faulty goods

Consumer Building and Occupational Services (CBOS) is Tasmania's building and consumer regulator.

The issues they can look at include:

  • refunds, repairs and returns
  • problems with products or services
  • buying products and services
  • product safety
  • business practices - store policies
  • warranties and consumer guarantees
  • online shopping
  • contracts
  • advertising
  • prepaid funerals.

Visit their Products and Services webpage for more information or contact them on 1300 654 499.

Issues with work by tradesmen

If you have a problem with work done by tradesmen while building or renovating, you can find out more on the Consumer, Building and Occupations Services website about how to deal with your issue.

Food hygiene in shops or restaurants

If you have a complaint about food hygiene or food safety, in the first instance you could call your local Council's Health Inspector.  If the matter is about contaminated food or food recall enquiries, contact the Public Health Hotline of the Department of Health on 1800 671 738.

Unfair trading practices

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commissioner (ACCC) promotes competition and fair trade in markets to benefit consumers, businesses, and the community. They also regulate national infrastructure services.

Their primary responsibility is to ensure that individuals and businesses comply with Australian competition, fair trading, and consumer protection laws - in particular the Competition and Consumer Act 2010They help you understand your consumer rights when buying goods or services including what to do if you are not happy.  

You can use their web forms to make an enquiry or to report a consumer issue, or contact their Infocentre on 1300 302 502.