Provision of legal advice
Legal Aid Commission of Tasmania provides legal advice, representation, family dispute resolution services and legal education to the Tasmanian community. Their focus is on economically and socially disadvantaged Tasmanians.
Call them on 1300 366 611 Monday to Friday between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm and speak to a lawyer. During busy times you may need to leave your name and number for a lawyer to return your call within one business day. Calls will be returned Monday to Friday between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm. Everyone can receive free legal advice from Legal Aid Tasmania through their telephone advice service.
Community Legal Centres Tasmania (CLC Tas)
Community Legal Centres Tasmania itself does not provide legal advice to members of the public. The office is able to assist those seeking legal advice by referrals to an appropriate legal service provider.
Community legal centres are independent community organisations providing free legal services to the public. They provide free legal advice, information and representation to around 5000 Tasmanians each year. Their focus is on providing legal services to the the socially and financially disadvantaged who in many cases are unable to access other legal services.
CLCs in Tasmania
- Environmental Defenders Office - EDO Tasmania is a non-profit community legal centre advising on environmental and planning law. Their aim is to increase public awareness of environmental laws and remedies, and help the community to secure a healthy, sustainable Tasmania. They can be contacted on 6223 2770 or via email email@example.com
- Hobart Community Legal Service - provides free legal information advice and referrals to people in southern Tasmania. They have offices in Hobart, Bridgewater and Sorell.
- Launceston Community Legal Centre - can be contacted on 1800 066 019 or firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment.
- Tasmanian Aboriginal Community Legal Service - has offices in Hobart and Launceston and provide legal services, advice and representation across the state. Their team is made up of experienced lawyers, client service officers from community and dedicated administrative staff. They strive to:
- Promote social justice for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples;
- Promote the right of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples to empowerment, identity and culture;
- Ensure that Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples enjoy their rights, are aware of their responsibilities under the law and have access to appropriate advice, assistance and representation;
- Reduce the disproportionate involvement of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples in the criminal justice system; and
- Promote the review of legislation and other practices which discriminate against Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders.
- North West Community Legal Centre - are a free one off advice and referral legal service to residents on the North West Coast of Tasmania. They can be contacted on 6424 8720 or via email email@example.com
- Tenants’ Union of Tasmania is a specialist Community Legal Centre for residential tenants. Their aim is to secure the rights of all tenants by providing free legal advice, representation and education, as well as advocating for the improvement of tenants’ rights. They can be contacted for advice on 6223 2641 or 1300 652 641, Monday – Friday 9:30 am to 4:00 pm.
- Women’s Legal Service operates a free and statewide service, with offices in Hobart, Burnie and Launceston.
- Worker Assist provides free, independent and confidential advice for injured workers. If you’ve been injured at work, the process can be confusing and confronting. Worker Assist Tasmania Inc. can help by providing free and independent advice about workers compensation, rehabilitation and return-to-work. If you aren’t sure what to do, don’t know your legal rights, are feeling frustrated or have other barriers, they can give you the information, action and support you need. Call Worker Assist Tasmania Inc. on 1300 027 747 or request a call by leaving your details.
Hobart office - provides confidential and free legal advice and referral to women right across Tasmania through their telephone advice line. Highly skilled legal staff are able to provide advice and referral on all legal matters including family law, family violence, civil and criminal law, as well as estate and property law.
Burnie office - provides legal information, advice and support on any legal matter to those clients in the north-west of the state who are experiencing, or who have experienced, family violence.
Launceston office - provides advice and support to women in the north-east of the state who are experiencing, or who have experienced, family violence. Women from north-eastern Tasmania are able to contact their service through a dedicated telephone line, and are able to make a face-to-face appointment with a solicitor for two days each week.
Tasmanian Refugee Legal Service
The Tasmanian Refugee Legal Service has a team of volunteer lawyers, migration agents and community-based volunteers to assist refugees, asylum seekers and humanitarian entrants with all aspects of migration law. They provide fortnightly face to face advice sessions for refugees in Tasmania.
Complaints about legal practitioners
The Legal Profession Board of Tasmania is the independent statutory body responsible for receiving and investigating complaints about the conduct of lawyers.
Find out more about their complaints process or give them a call on 6226 3000.