Information for Indigenous Australians

Tasmanian Aboriginal Legal Service

Effective 1 July 2020, the delivery of legal services to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in Tasmania will be provided by the Tasmanian Aboriginal Legal Service (TALS).

P: 1800 595 162


Equal Opportunity Tasmania aims to foster a society free of discrimination, prejudice, bias and prohibited conduct by administering the Anti-Discrimination Act 1998 (Tas). Call them on 1300 305 062 or check out other ways to contact them on their website.

Know your rights

The Australian Human Rights Commission is an independent third party which investigates complaints about discrimination and breaches of human rights.  You can make a complaint to them online via their website or find out more information about knowing your rights.

Complaints under Racial Discrimination Act

The Racial Discrimination Act 1975 (RDA) makes it against the law to treat you unfairly because of your race, colour, descent, national or ethnic origin or immigrant status. The Act also makes racial hatred against the law.

You can use the RDA to get fair treatment in many areas of public life such as:

  • Employment – getting a job, terms and conditions of a job, training, promotion, being dismissed.
  • Education – enrolling or studying in a course at a private or public school, college or university.
  • Accommodation – renting or buying a house or unit.
  • Getting or using services – such as banking or insurance services, services provided by government departments, transport or telecommunication services, professional services like those provided by lawyers, doctors or tradespeople, services provided by restaurants, shops or entertainment venues.
  • Accessing public places – such as parks, government offices, restaurants, hotels or shopping centres.

Find out more on the Australian Human Rights Commission website.

Australian Government services

Find out more on the Australian Government Department of Human Services website about ABSTUDY, payments and support for Indigenous Australians.

If you want to make a complaint about Centerlink, Child Support or Medicare, you can find out information about how to do that on their website.